Munich Airport was one of the first airports in Germany to sign this ‘net zero carbon’ resolution, after more than 200 European airports pledged in 2019 to deliver net zero airport CO2 emissions by 2050.

The German hub has been following an ambitious climate action strategy since 2009 and has been systematically reducing its CO2 emissions year after year with the aim of achieving CO2-neutral airport operations by no later than 2030. Between now and 2030 Munich Airport is investing a total of €150 million to help it achieve its climate targets. Now the airport has welcomed a strategy paper from European aviation associations, which was presented to the European Commission in Brussels at the end of last week and which details a roadmap to making sustainable aviation a reality for airports, airlines, aerospace manufacturers and air traffic controllers.

While passenger numbers in Munich rose from 28.6 million in 2005 to 48 million in 2019, CO2 emissions per passenger were reduced by 46% in the same period. To achieve the set target of CO2-neutral airport operations by 2030, between now and then the CO2 emissions attributable to the airport will be progressively reduced by 60% and the remaining 40% offset through compensatory measures.

The airport has already successfully implemented 280 individual measures, including investing substantially in expanding electric mobility. It already has a 38% share of electric and hybrid vehicles and was one of the first airports to switch all of its apron lighting to energy-saving LED technology, which reduced energy costs considerably.

Jost Lammers, CEO of Munich Airport and president of ACI Europe, considers both the European aviation industry to be well on the way toward climate neutrality. “Regardless of the enormous challenges we are currently facing due to the global pandemic and its consequences, the development toward sustainable air transport remains our most important project for the future. With the initiative launched at European level and the extensive measures we have already implemented or initiated in Munich, we can also achieve our ambitious goals.”

Leave a Reply